[Stackless] verify my performance numbers?

Max Noel maxfnoel at gmail.com
Sat Jan 27 08:57:41 CET 2007

On 27 Jan 2007, at 02:06, Andrew Dalke wrote:

> On Jan 26, 2007, at 11:16 PM, Max Noel wrote:
>> Interesting idea, I hadn't thought of using Stackless to do that.
>
> What I find interesting is that you hadn't thought of this.
> And Richard hadn't thought of using monkey patching to replace
> existing blocking functions.
>
> So if I may -- what is it that people use Stackless for?
>
> My talk focus is to say it's an alternative to threads which
> are more light-weight and scalable, being careful to watch
> out for blocking calls.
>
> Do people here have other uses and want me to talk about them?

Well, what initially drew me to Stackless (and, I guess, what the
guys at CCP are mainly using it for) is that tasklets and channels
are exceptionally well-suited to actor-based programming. In other
words, games ^^. Grant Olson's tutorial [1] is what made me see the
light, and it's centered around that idea.

Although it's a great tutorial and introduction to Stackless, I fear
it may have made me too focused on that particular aspect.

I also think Stackless can be used successfully in the field of
artificial life, or to implement an arbitrarily large neural network
(Erlang is probably better for that task, however). Basically,
anything where the "actors" metaphor makes sense.

> Comparable scalings, though your box is 4x faster than my old laptop.
> I need a new machine.  After 4 years of nearly daily use this machine
> is about at the end of its life.

Only twice as fast. My iTunes library is half the size of yours. ;)

> There are no timing numbers on the Stackless page to reflect that
> aspect of how cool Stackless is.

Agreed.

-- Max