[Stackless] Performance and slprofile Re: Comments on a Twisted/Stackless Integration Example

Arnar Birgisson arnarbi at gmail.com
Wed Jul 4 02:18:34 CEST 2007

Hi,

On 7/3/07, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I understand tasklets are cheap but still there are
> costs. For example given the round-robin scheduling(I
> figure this is an O(n) algorithm), the more tasklets
> one adds, it takes that much longer to service a

I have no idea of stackless' internals, but I would guess the
stackless round-robin scheduler is circular queue that is O(1) in
choosing the next tasklet to run. I'll let others tell us how it
really is though.

> tasklet. This may be fine if one has few runnable
> tasklets and connections. However what happens if one
> has hundreds of connections? When does the scheduling
> and processing costs add up to a point where a tasklet
> cannot return a response in a reasonable amount of
> time.

Well.. I know people have reported running up to 60.000 tasklets on
one commodity host without any problems.

Arnar