[Stackless] Keyword args problem with class inherited from stackless channel

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Jul 16 21:46:58 CEST 2007

On 16.07.2007, at 15:42, Richard Tew wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> Just a small thing which I meant to run past you at some point.  Is
> there any reason that __new__ in the Stackless channel implementation
> is checking the arguments and erroring if there are any?  I would just
> go ahead and remove the check, but I can't help but wonder if there is
> some special problem which arises if it is removed.  Can't hurt to
> check with you in any case! :-)

This is for the same reason why int or str do not accept additional
arguments - I don't know exactly, but I followed the implicit standard
for builtin types to check their arguments exactly.
It would be easy to change, if there is a reason that deviates
enough from common practice for builtin types. Otherwise I would
prefer to stick with it. It might also help me to decide if someone
could tell me *why* builtin types are so restrictive with __new__.

(including the list for this question)

cheers - chris