[Stackless] Performance and slprofile Re: Comments on a Twisted/Stackless Integration Example

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 23:08:56 CEST 2007

Hi Arnar:

--- Arnar Birgisson <arnarbi at gmail.com> wrote:

AF> 1) An extra tasklet is created for each
AF> connection.

AB> I think that's pretty much the standard way of
AB>doing things. The beauty of tasklets is that
AB>they're cheap so you shouldn't worry about
AB> having too many (tens of thousands is fine).

I understand tasklets are cheap but still there are
costs. For example given the round-robin scheduling(I
figure this is an O(n) algorithm), the more tasklets
one adds, it takes that much longer to service a
tasklet. This may be fine if one has few runnable
tasklets and connections. However what happens if one
has hundreds of connections? When does the scheduling
and processing costs add up to a point where a tasklet
cannot return a response in a reasonable amount of
time.

When I have time, I would like to figure out how to
use slprofile so I can understand what is happening
under the hood. If anyone can give pointers, that
would be great.

Cheers,
Andrew