[Stackless] Compiling stackless with PyQt4?

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Mon Mar 26 16:06:03 CEST 2007

Yeah... this is one (of the *very few*) nits I have about the core of
Python.

"Note that UCS2 and UCS4 Python builds are not binary compatible.
Please keep this in mind when writing extensions or
interfaces." (http://docs.python.org/api/unicodeObjects.html)

If you are used to windows then probably this:

"On platforms where wchar_t is available and compatible with the
chosen Python Unicode build variant, Py_UNICODE is a typedef alias
for wchar_t to enhance native platform compatibility."

means that (historically) most people build with UCS2 - which IMHO is
the only sane thing to do since using
4 bytes per character for strings where 99.99% of characters need
only 2 bytes
is a highly questionable tradeoff of memory for simplification.
Python really needs an internal
Unicode string type that can efficiently deal with this issue (i.e.
properly noticing UCS-embedded
surrogates)... dunno whether anyone in python-dev land is paying
attention to this issue....

I find this: "(most recent Linux distributions come with UCS4 builds
of Python)"
somewhat depressing...

-Jas