[Stackless] Google Summer of Code - PSF / Time is Short

Tristan Seligmann mithrandi-stackless at mithrandi.za.net
Thu Mar 22 17:23:27 CET 2007

* Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> [2007-03-21 13:58:06 +0000]:

> And then Twisted becomes a dependency for Stackless itself, which
> I am not too keen on, even if it is an optional one.  I have read on
> numerous occasions how the fact that Stackless is a fork of Python
> causes people to shy away from it.  What I see when there are
> dependencies complicating the process are even more people shying
> away.  I would probably prefer that the it not be included in the
> Stackless distribution if this were the case.

I'm pretty sure there would be just as much objection to
stackless-in-python monkeypatching stdlib modules, as there would be to
introducing a Twisted dependency into the stdlib.

> way of the monkeypatched things just being used "as is".  One thing
> which has made the stacklesssocket module so easily usable by
> people is that they can just download it and use it directly in place
> of the socket module in exactly the same manner as they would
> have normally used sockets.  Given my own non-use of Twisted and

This isn't really true; due to the concurrency that is possible when
using stacklesssocket, all sorts of plan interference issues may arise
that would not have been possible with the standard blocking socket.
That's not to say that you cannot write correct code with
stacklesssocket, but it is possible that code written in a style that
would have been correct with socket, will now behave incorrectly with
stacklesssocket.