[Stackless] Google Summer of Code - PSF / Time is Short

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 18:12:26 CET 2007

On 3/22/07, Tristan Seligmann <mithrandi-stackless at mithrandi.za.net> wrote:
> * Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> [2007-03-21 13:58:06 +0000]:
> > And then Twisted becomes a dependency for Stackless itself, which
> > I am not too keen on, even if it is an optional one.  I have read on
> > numerous occasions how the fact that Stackless is a fork of Python
> > causes people to shy away from it.  What I see when there are
> > dependencies complicating the process are even more people shying
> > away.  I would probably prefer that the it not be included in the
> > Stackless distribution if this were the case.
>
> I'm pretty sure there would be just as much objection to
> stackless-in-python monkeypatching stdlib modules, as there would be to
> introducing a Twisted dependency into the stdlib.

How so?  As Stackless is a fork, what I have leeway to reasonably
include within it is a completely different matter to how something
else might affect the mainline stdlib.

> > way of the monkeypatched things just being used "as is".  One thing
> > which has made the stacklesssocket module so easily usable by
> > people is that they can just download it and use it directly in place
> > of the socket module in exactly the same manner as they would
> > have normally used sockets.  Given my own non-use of Twisted and
>
> This isn't really true; due to the concurrency that is possible when
> using stacklesssocket, all sorts of plan interference issues may arise
> that would not have been possible with the standard blocking socket.
> That's not to say that you cannot write correct code with
> stacklesssocket, but it is possible that code written in a style that
> would have been correct with socket, will now behave incorrectly with
> stacklesssocket.

Concerns like these are a part of using Stackless, and it goes without
saying that anything which is used with Stackless requires a general
approach to take it into account.

In which case I would say it was true enough.