[Stackless] Google Summer of Code - PSF / Time is Short

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 21:17:10 CET 2007

On 3/22/07, Carlos Eduardo de Paula <carlosedp at gmail.com> wrote:
> attracted to stackless and not having to install a lot of stuff... the
> misunderstanding here is that I expressed myself a little wrong..
> since I dont have knowledge of socked and asyncore modules, when I
> started doing network apps I jumped directly to twisted wagon.

No problem.  I just wanted to make sure that the thoughts I had had,
as the primary author of the monkeypatching so far, were laid out.  It
is most likely entirely possible for excellent monkeypatching solutions
to be written more easily using Twisted, but I wanted to make clear
that that path (which I am not against) prevents the monkeypatching
from being used for some purposes.

> On Andrew's point number 2, I agree completely with him,in the last
> proposed examples, I guess more than 80% of the stackless+twisted use

What I would like to say about Andrew's post is that he reminded me
of some excellent summer of code work possibilities.  First, the
debugging support which he touched on and then relatedly profiling.

Stackless customises some of the stdlib modules which relate to
things better working with it.  For instance there are is a modified
pickling module in the stdlib.  If you were to flesh out the debugging
or profiling support in the stdlib to best work with Stackless, they
would be excellent and possibly much appreciated changes.

Kristjan Valur from CCP posted the code we use to profile I think,
so that would be a start if that were part of a SoC application.

> About the monkeypatching, I think that in a future, we can have a set
> of modules that can integrate socket connections (already done),
> fileIO, database wrappers and etc where they all wont block app
> execution.. I think its going the right way..

Good to hear :-)

> I was looking at the monkeypatching code and found out that I'm not
> prepared for coding like that.. the IOCP module does obscure stuff I
> have no idea because it goes into the innings of the OS. I will stick

Well I wouldn't underestimate yourself.  I am no great programmer and
writing the IOCP code was the first time I had written any code using
those Windows resources.