[Stackless] Compiling stackless with PyQt4?

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 09:29:37 CEST 2007

On 3/30/07, Caleb J. Howard <caleb at howlor.com> wrote:
> - If I try to import some part of PyQt4, it segfaults.
>         > !python
>         Python 2.4.3 Stackless 3.1b3 060516 (#3, Mar 27 2007, 23:42:33)
>         [GCC 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)] on linux2
>         Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>         >>> from PyQt4 import QtGui
>         Segmentation fault

Hi Caleb,

Thanks for all the detailed information, if only all bug reports had them :-)

It definitely looks like you have made progress and this is past the
"not compiled against the right version of Python" problems, which
means we need to see exactly what is going wrong. Can you provide a
stack trace for this segmentation fault?

While I have a linux box at my disposal, it only has the console
available and no desktop.  But if you are willing to provide VNC
access to your desktop maybe we can work together over IRC and get to
the bottom of this, should there be a time suitable to both of us.

Anyway, reply to the list with the stack trace.  And you can contact
me off list about the VNC solution or something similar if you are
interested should the stack trace not lead to any immediate solutions.

> If anyone can give me some hints or pointers based on the above information,
> or even better - an awesome shopping list of specific downloads, compile
> configurations and installs to perform to guarantee all compatibility, that
> would be *greatly* appreciated  (of course).

Given that PyQT imports and you got far enough to get a segmentation
fault.  I would be surprised if you needed any additional installs or
downloads.

> I'll probably have to give up on stackless if I can't get this running by
> Saturday, so all help will be greatly, greatly appreciated.

That would be a pity.  But it may be that PyQT just can't work nicely
with Stackless on non-windows or mac platforms.  I seem to remember
previous queries about it on those platforms going unanswered.