[Stackless] Google Summer of Code - PSF / Time is Short

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Mar 21 21:12:33 CET 2007

On 21.03.2007, at 14:58, Richard Tew wrote:

> On 3/21/07, Carlos Eduardo de Paula <carlosedp at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have one issue though, some questions proposed by monkeypatch
>> can be
>> addressed by other ways... like the twisted approach in the
>> networking
>> side, where we can a nonblocking network access have using the last
>> example of the blockOn function posted some days ago.
>
> Ah.  Twisted.  There are two problems with this.  The first is that
> I do
> not have the chops to mentor any summer of code project which
> involves Twisted.  The second is that a primary goal in writing the
> stacklesssocket module and the existing monkeypatching prototype
> was that there be no dependencies, and that they just use what is
> available in the standard library.

I'm not getting involved with Twisted. Nothing against it in general,
but it is very different from my thinking.

The other comments about dependencies are also very relevant.
If twisted wants to use stackless for something, fine with me.
But not vice versa..

On reduction of dependencies, I appreciate very much Stephan's
new example from PyPy, an implementation of Stackless
without requiring Stackless at all, just the greenlets.

There is also an extension of this, trying out the new idea of
composability, which is already prototyped by Stephan, Armin and me.
This will be tried out to some more extent using the approach of
prototyping on top of standard Python with greenlets.

My goal is to play more with composability, which is a little break-
through
on making Stackless much more useful (regardless whether on top
of PyPy or CPython). After a usable API is defined and proven to be
convenient,
this will be implemented for CPython-Stackless and PyPy's RPython.
I would be very happy to mentor somebody working in that direction.

ciao - chris

p.s.: I think we also should post a link to the composable stuff as
soon as
we agreed on the latest changes.