[Stackless] Santa concurrency problem

Brian Zimmer bzimmer at ziclix.com
Sun Mar 25 05:45:05 CEST 2007

Hello,

I've been using Python for years but only recently started using
Stackless.  One of the current concurrency topics is the paper written
by Simon Peyton-Jones about STM in which he presents a concurrency
problem and provides Haskell code to solve it.  The Erlang list then
included a version in Erlang demonstrating a shorter, and perhaps more
readable, solution to the problem.  I'm including my Stackless version
as a comparison and also wish feedback on my use of Stackless since it
was my first stab at it.  I was thrilled to see I could schedule 10K
elves without a problem.

The top of the Erlang code has a good description of the problem.

Haskell:
http://research.microsoft.com/%7Esimonpj/papers/stm/#beautiful
Erlang:    http://www.cs.otago.ac.nz/staffpriv/ok/santa/santa.erl
Stackless: http://www.ziclix.com/software/santa.txt