[Stackless] Google Summer of Code - PSF / Time is Short

Carlos Eduardo de Paula carlosedp at gmail.com
Thu Mar 22 20:52:35 CET 2007

Regarding the considerations from Richard and Christian Tismer, they
are completely true, I didnt meant to have a dependency from stackless
from other modules like twisted. Of course having it all into the
stdlib (ok.. its stackless sdtlib) is a great way of making people be
attracted to stackless and not having to install a lot of stuff... the
misunderstanding here is that I expressed myself a little wrong..
since I dont have knowledge of socked and asyncore modules, when I
started doing network apps I jumped directly to twisted wagon.

On Andrew's point number 2, I agree completely with him,in the last
proposed examples, I guess more than 80% of the stackless+twisted use
cases have been covered.. the last blockOn function that has been
created based on Chris Armstrong and Greg Hazel's works.. which I
aggregated into one function (and added timeout feature) can be
applied to almost all deferred calls in twisted from tasklets.

I think the tasklet running the reactor and the t.i.task loopingcall
can handle it all, like Chris   Armstrong proposed some time ago when
a member from the list was creating a reactor for stackless...

About the monkeypatching, I think that in a future, we can have a set
of modules that can integrate socket connections (already done),
fileIO, database wrappers and etc where they all wont block app
execution.. I think its going the right way..

I was looking at the monkeypatching code and found out that I'm not
prepared for coding like that.. the IOCP module does obscure stuff I
have no idea because it goes into the innings of the OS. I will stick
to the basic stuff, probably not in Google SoC, but the documentation
stuff interested me.. and I started to take a look in IDLE interpreter
to have an idea of how to create a interactive stackless
interpreter... (I liked it...)

Best Regards,

Carlos