[Stackless] Stackless Embedding/Extending & Threading Questions

Benjamin Tolputt bjt at pmp.com.au
Tue Mar 27 01:37:10 CEST 2007

Thanks Richard. Without delving into "trade secret stuff" - could I get
your feedback on the following idea then?

The application server is written embedding Stackless Python. A single
thread runs a script starting up the Stackless Tasklets. Other threads
(for database access, network comms, etc) are run in native code (i.e.
developed in C++). Boost, Pyrex, <whatever> can be used ignoring Python
dependent threading issues as the GIL is only ever required for the one
thread. If this is similar to your setup/experience at CCP - I can
assume that any bugs I find are related to my code and not the
underlying Stackless / Application design.

The only thing to work out then would be a nice method of waiting on
events from the other (native) threads when requesting data from the
database in Python code; most likely by putting dependent tasklets into
a list that polls the "ready" state of the "native query" object before
waking said tasklet up with a channel send.

Does this sound offbase as a method of using the Stackless environment?
I'm willing to submit any "proof of concept" code back to the Wiki if
that would be of benefit. If it works, I can see it being a good
launching point for the use of Stackless in a few research projects (my
current project is an AI / Data-mining project that can have it's
current <intermediate> state saved to disk at arbitrary points in time).

Regards,
B.J.Tolputt