[Stackless] "stackless files" and Python 2.5.1

Alec Flett alecf at flett.org
Wed May 16 17:23:18 CEST 2007

I'm in the process of trying to get stackless deployed in a cluster of
machines built from gentoo. Our ops department runs the cluster and requires
that all software on the machines be buil as a part of the particular gentoo
distribution we're using. They're happy to upgrade package versions, but
they are really resistant to building a stackless package for gentoo
themselves. I'm really not much of an expert on gentoo myself either, but
I'm certainly willing to do what it takes...

 As I understand it, gentoo has a source-based package system using
something called "portage". I'm worried that a stackless package will
conflict with the system python, even if the system python is 2.5 or 2.5.1.

What I'm wondering is:
1) has anyone built a stackless package for gentoo? I don't see it on the
gentoo package lists but I figure I'd ask here just in case...

2) I noticed that there are windows binaries that require an existing
Stackless implementation, leading me to believe that there might be a way to
build a gentoo stackless that merely extends the existing python package? It
looks like the windows version is a bunch of dll replacements, so I guess
it's basically a binary replacement of the actual interpreter, since all the
modules should be the same, huh?

Anyway, anyone have any tips for getting stackless deployed in an
environment like this?

Alec