[Stackless] Installing Stackless 2.5.1 on an Intel Mac

Jeff Senn senn at maya.com
Wed May 23 20:18:34 CEST 2007

On May 23, 2007, at 10:43 AM, Sam Wilmott wrote:
> I've attempted to install Stackless on a MacBook, and
> somethings wrong; I don't know what.
>
> I first upgraded to the generic Python 2.5.1 from
> www.python.org and that worked just fine.  Then I realized
> that for what I wanted to do I really needed Stackless, so I
> downloaded the latest .dmg and clicked the .mpkg.  Went

Note: the latest posted on stackless.com is 2.5

> through the steps just fine until I got to the install step
> and it said that there was nothing to install!  The list of
> clickable packages was all greyed out.  After a couple of
> attempts I uninstalled all the Python I could find, from the
> Applications folder and both of the Framework folders, but
> that didn't help.

I suspect it detected you had a newer version 2.5.1 already
installed (note: that non-Apple python goes in
/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/...) and did not want
to over-install an older version.

> When I go "which python" it finds one in /usr/bin and that
> one reports itself to be 2.3.5.  I think that's the one that
> came with Mac OS X Tiger.

See above (Check /Library/Frameworks/Python... and possibly
/usr/local/bin )

> It looks to me like I'm overlooking something obvious, but
> ....  Help appreciated.

  I have a DMG for 2.5.1 that I built (and am using) but I
notice there are some changes that Richard committed last week...
I will build one today and send a pointer to you and Richard
(to both the earlier 2.5.1. and today's)
since I don't have a lot of time to test it... and you can let
us know if it works for you.  If so Richard can update the DMG
on the website.

Alternatively: I'm not sure how to make it think Python2.5.1 is "not
installed"
if you have cleared all of the files it installed in /Library/
Frameworks/Python....
...there may be some sort of package directory somewhere...

-Jas