[Stackless] Running Stackless without installing

Richard Smith richard at omniaccess.com
Fri Nov 23 18:28:59 CET 2007

Bjørn Hansen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have built stackless and, not yet being prepared to replace the
> version of python packaged with my distro, tried running it without
> installing (just running './python' from the directory where I compiled
> it).  That seems to work just fine, but I have a few questions:
>
> First, does anyone know any potential pitfalls of running like this?

I've got my stackless built installed in /usr/local/stackless, and then
I ln -s /usr/local/stackless/bin/python /usr/bin/stackless

You just run /usr/bin/stackless <script> then... and all works fine.

> Second, how do I install other modules not included with python?  In
> this case I am interested in using pygame with stackless.  My theory is
> that I should be able to sim-link the appropriate pygame modules from my
>  current python installation into the correct directories in my
> stackless tree, but either that doesn't work, or I'm not linking all of
> the files I need in the right place. Do I need to build pygame using the
> stackless source, or should the version I have installed be able to work?

If the modules you want to install use distutils, just fire off a quick
/usr/bin/stackless setup.py install and it just works from there. All
the packages will be separated from your distro's python implementation
and installed in /usr/local/stackless/lib/python2.X/site-packages...

Unless of course the modules you're installing aren't packaged properly.

--
Richard