[Stackless] OpenSSL problem

David E. Sallis David.Sallis at noaa.gov
Fri Nov 30 18:04:47 CET 2007

Andrew Francis said the following on 11/30/2007 9:10 AM:
> Hello Folks:
>
> I am using client.getPage with a URL that uses the
> https protocol. I get the error
>
> from OpenSSL import SSL
> ImportError: No module named OpenSSL
>
> I downloaded the Win32 binary for OpenSSL and
> pyOpenSSL. I get the error -
>
> error - Python was build with Visual Studio 7.1 and
> extensions need to be built with same version of
> compiler, but it isn't installed.
>
> I don't have Visual Studio 7.1. And I used a
> pre-compiled Stackless Python binary. Is there an easy
> way to get around this without say, recompiling
> Stackless (and compiling OpenSSL) with cygwin gcc?

What you've got here is a versioning problem between your Python interpreter and your *OpenSSL extensions, at the executable/DLL
level.  I've run into this myself.   In my experience the only way to resolve it is to download the source code and rebuild
everything.  I've had some success building stuff from source in cygwin, so it's worth a try.   ...I'm not sure if you can then run
code built in cygwin outside the cygwin environment.

--David

--
David E. Sallis, Software Architect
General Dynamics Information Technology