[Stackless] Tracing stackless tasklets.

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 10:55:48 CEST 2007

On 10/1/07, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
> Richard Tew wrote:
> > I think that Stackless could use some mechanism to place tracing and
> > profiling callbacks for newly started tasklets though, before they are
> > run.  There is no reason that needs to be such a convoluted process,
> > like it is now.
>
> Do you think of something around
>
> t = tasklet()
> t.bind(myfunc)
> t.setup(args, arg2)
> t.set_trace(tracefunc)

Well, I did.  But now I think it is superfluous.

> Do you think the process is more convoluted than for regular Python,
> in the sense that you have to modify your program, which is regular
> for me, or is it harder?

You are right, you don't just have to do this sort of thing to get the
tracing started, you do it for other reasons as well.  It is not an
unreasonable amount of work for a programmer to do, especially if they
are doing rare things like tracing.

Perhaps some examples added to the examples SVN repository would suffice.