[Stackless] Multi core/cpu?

Allen Fowler allen.fowler at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 18 05:10:22 CEST 2007

Thanks for the tip.

 Interesting reading...

 So... it seems that there is no reasonable way to get more than one CPU core to work on tasklets waiting in the que.

 I understand that once a job/problem needs to scale past one physical machine you are forced to use an IPC centric design anyway, so for 'big' problems the lack of multi-threading is irrelevant.

That being said:

 Writing stackless Python looks (relatively) easy.

 Writing MPI/Spread/pp/Etc. Python looks hard.

 Seems like "Hard Things Possible", but not "Easy Things Easy."

 Very unfortunate.

Is there any (near-term) hope to fix the common case of trying to easily get more than one CPU core in a single physical machine to process tasklets?

It would be a huge boon to me, and i'm sure many others.

-- Thank you

Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> wrote: On 10/17/07, Allen Fowler  wrote:
> Is there a reasonably simple way to use Stackless as a method to create
> Python apps that scale well across multiple cpu/cores?

There was a thread about this last month:
http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2007-September/thread.html

Search for "stackless python in a multicore environment".

It appears at least twice.

http://mail.yahoo.com