[Stackless] Patch for pickle problem on 64bit platforms

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Sat Oct 20 16:14:40 CEST 2007

Hi Kristján,

> Sure, I have no issues about using 'long' in these cases, just
 > be aware that it is only 32 bits on win64.

Even worse, it is 64 bit on Linux.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

> Hm, come to think of it, PyInt_FromLong() et al all expose
> this 'long' discrepancy.  So, is a normal python integer 64 bits on linux 64?
>
> I suppose its ok to go with long then, we just have to be careful
 > to update all those format strings.  I will make an update soon.

As I remember, the policy of Python was decided to use long,
whatever the compiler choose to translate it into.
I think we should follow this policy, unless we have reasons
to use a data type specifically for its size.

So if there are int declarations left from my sloppiness,
yes this should be changed.

We should also be caseful with ints or longs, whare actually
a site_t was meant.

cheers - chris