[Stackless] a stackless crash

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Mon Oct 29 02:48:20 CET 2007

Kristján Valur Jónsson wrote:
> Ok, I managed to analyze this a bit better during my flight from Boston
> to SF.

> 1)      A tasklet with a C stack is sleeping in blue.pyos.Yield.  It
> does a receive on a channel.  It does not increment any references to
> that channel.

Yes. I did not add references for the channels. No idea why,
but I tried to treat this like a weak-ref.

> 2)      We start shutting down and as part of that, we release the
> channel.  It gets destroyed, in the process it unlinks the sleeping
> tasklet which is now unlinked (with next and prev pointers being NULL(

Sounds bad. next and prev should point at the channel, prior to
destruction. If they don't, it is an error.

> 3)      We enter PyStackless_kill_tasks_with_stacks.  It finds the
> tasklet and tries to unlink it in order to relink it.  But it is nowhere
> linked so the unlink crashes.

Sounds bad, bad, bad.

> Now, I tried fixing it by checking for NULL in step 3 and skipping the
> unlink.  But I then got a crash, because a subsequent PyTasklet_Kill()
> call effectively steals the reference to the tasklet (it does a decref
> after killing it) and this causes a crash during GC.
>
> Increfing the tasklet before calling KILL fixes that.
>
> Now, here are some questions, mostly for our chief Guru:
>
> 1)      Is this scenario supposed to be possible?  I tried reproing it
> with pure python but I found no way to let a tasklet sleep on a channel
> without increfing the channel.  See the attached .py file.  On the other
> hand, the code that deletes a channel does unlink any sleeping tasklets,
> so it would appear that the design is intended to cope with that.  At
> any rate, we probably don’t want a sleeping tasklet to hold a reference
> to a channel since then we have a reference cycle.

I need to have a look at it.
Maybe it is of course insane to sleep on a channel without incref.
On the other hand, what about reference cycles?
Do you still refuse using gc???

> 2)      Assuming it is possible, and the only way to trigger it is
> within the context of eve, are my bugfixes correct?  I.e. checking for
> NULL and not unlinking, and increfing before the PyTasklet_Kill?

I have to have a closer look. Please give me some time, I'm just busy
with the Leopard update :-)

> Also, any help in reproing the case in pure python would be appreciated.
>
> N.b. I get the expected behavior (no incref in sleep) if I run in
> softswitching mode.  Only then the bug isn’t encountered because only
> tasklets with cstacks matter here.

Well, softswitching is the real thing, but what should I say.
Hard switching will not die, even not in PyPy!

cheers - chris