[Stackless] Stackless with ZODB

Johan Carlsson johanc at easypublisher.com
Wed Sep 19 09:00:32 CEST 2007

On 9/18/07, Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:

> Interesting. I have played around with some external functions
> to allow pickling of a zope execution. But as I remember, it was
> a lot of hacking to avoid pickling of certain zope structures.
> Maybe I can dig this up.
> I ended up with a pickle that could be restarted, displaying
> a counter on a web page.
> I think I had to make sure that the tasklet was really removed
> between responses. No idea if there is much future in this...

No, I'm just playing around.
I don't think stackless ever would play in a Zope environment
at least not doing anything useful, because of the need to
manually add tasklets to the schduler, and this would have
to be done on each thread to be operational on each thread.

It is interesting in a where ZODB is used standalone.
First of all you can run it unthreaded if you like.

Next thing I'm gonna play with is to create a Tasklet
service and also a channel service (at least If i wanna
pass channels around I need to store them some where).

The Tasklet service stores the tasklets and on startup can
activate all tasklet that are alive.
It will also "garbage collect" tasklets that doesn't need
persistence anymore.
(Note to self: I wonder if tasklets need to be reinserted in the database
to be persistent, I think the do, I need to try that.)

I think there is still issues I'm gonna encounter,
so I'm gonna go down this path a little bit further.

I let you all know what I find.

 /Johan

--
Johan Carlsson