[Stackless] stackless python in a multicore environment

Johan Carlsson johanc at easypublisher.com
Sat Sep 22 11:04:29 CEST 2007

I've had a quick look at pp and it looks to me like it threads of
tasks when going remove, that's why there is a wait() method
to synchronize on a groups.

pp is very high level, the API is minimal and examining the stats
print outs I would say it does a lot of optimization of scheduling
internally, for instance it seems to try to run as much task
as close as possible (I don't have a SMP machine so I run a cluster
consisting of in process on my desktop and one on my office server,
making the total number of server 3? (the local process seems to count
like a server too)) .

Anyway, my guess it that stackless will not play nice with pp
due to pp's internal threading.
It still possible to run a stackless application in parallel but
I'm not sure pp is the best package to do that with.
(Like I mentioned before, spread might be more suited to
integrate with stackless, Spread is way more low level, and
doesn't provide any scheduling of tasks just the multicast protocol).

--
Johan Carlsson
Colliberty Easy Publisher