[Stackless] Ubuntu installation problem

Phoenix Sol phoenix at burninglabs.com
Mon Apr 7 22:47:36 CEST 2008

An interesting thing (that took me a while to notice ;-), is that even after
renaming or symlinking, the 'PYTHONPATH' for both distributions will be the
same (since it's just an environment variable...); both Python versions will
search '/usr/local/lib/python*' before '/usr/lib/python*'. This hasn't
caused me any serious problems yet, but it's good to understand; I think
this would be more likely to cause problems than with the binaries getting
mixed up, since they are (presumably) fully compatible.
The most likely problem would be with missing packages. This has actually
happened to me with some stuff I had installed with aptitude, after
upgrading Stackless.

So for example, whatever packages you 'easy_install' with Stackless will be
available to mainline Python; there's no need to use mainline Python to
install things just for that distribution (like I was doing).

I still haven't taken the time to ascertain how packages come up missing. It
seems like a package in either distribution should be found, which implies
that they were installed under '/usr/local/lib' for some reason (seems like
aptitude would put them under '/usr/lib/' exclusively), and then of course,
were overwritten by 'make install'.

I hope this is helpful information (and not a terrible irritation to those
who don't need it or already know it).

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 1:59 AM, Simon Pickles <sipickles at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Stephan Diehl wrote:
> > Simon,
> >
> > this has nothing to do with stackless whatsoever :-)
> >
> Apart from it being a non-standard python installation on a Distro which
> relies heavily on Python ;) Thats why I reckoned a Stackless user would
> know the answer to my problem.
> > On Linux, the 'PATH' /usr/local/bin is searched before /usr/bin.
> > Therefore, your stackless is found earlier as THE python executable.
> > My strategie is to name the stackless python executable 'stackless'
> > or 'spython'.
> >

> Oh look... they did! :p
>
> many thanks
> > Stephan
> >
> > Am Montag, 7. April 2008 08:57:06 schrieb Simon Pickles:
> >
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I'm running Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.
> >>
> >> I built and installed Stackless with the default settings. This gave me
> >> a stackless python installation in /usr/local/bin/python, but still the
> >> original at /usr/bin/python.
> >>
> >> This is fine with me, but has seen a small problem with my system. For
> >> some reason, the system is using the stackless version to run its
> >> utilities like system-config-printer-gnome
> >>
> >> This causes it to get confused (the python path is wrong).
> >>
> >> How can I tell my system to use the default installation at
> >> /usr/bin/python?
> >>
> >> Thanks for any advice.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >>
> >> Simon
> >>
> >> ps: this shows wat is occurring at present:
> >>
> >> simon at simon-linux:~$ /usr/bin/python
> >> Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Mar 12 2008, 13:36:25)
> >> [GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu4)] on linux2
> >> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
> >>
> >> simon at simon-linux:~$ /usr/local/bin/python
> >> Python 2.5.2 Stackless 3.1b3 060516 (release25-maint:62083, Mar 31
> 2008,
> >> 13:17:11)
> >> [GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu6)] on linux2
> >> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
> >>
> >> simon at simon-linux:~$ python
> >> Python 2.5.2 Stackless 3.1b3 060516 (release25-maint:62083, Mar 31
> 2008,
> >> 13:17:11)
> >> [GCC 4.2.3 (Ubuntu 4.2.3-2ubuntu6)] on linux2
> >> Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.

> --
> Linux Counter: User# 424693

Phoenix Sol
541-646-8612