[Stackless] Doing Stuff With Stackless (was Re: Bug in stackless.tasklet C API?)

Justin Tulloss jmtulloss at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 01:30:35 CEST 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 8:32 AM, Kevin Kelley <kelleyk at mit.edu> wrote:
> Distributed computing!  Lots of microthreads, running in lots of
>  hardware threads... add undergraduate tears, and you get magic.

Sounds like we're working on about the same thing, except I gave up on
the threading thing. I started looking into removing the GIL, which
required me to alter the garbage collector, which eventually led me to
abandon the threaded technique altogether. Now I'm just using
processes and a distributed routing scheme to choose amongst them. It
has the nice property of scaling across machines as well as processes!
Of course, there's overhead in running what is essentially a DHT, so
it probably doesn't make sense in all situations (like just taking
advantage of multiple processors).

Justin