[Stackless] Potential Problem with Stackless

Phoenix Sol phoenix at burninglabs.com
Tue Apr 29 19:54:53 CEST 2008

Andrew, don't you mean that the call to ch.receive() "returns immediately"?
No offense, but when you say "nothing happens", it seems to indicate that
the main tasklet is blocked on the channel. Yesterday Richard posted about
this also (I'm surprised you didn't post this as a reply), saying that it
"exited immediately", which made me think the interpreter exited. I was even
about to reply to that email saying, "well, it doesn't exit on my machine
with the latest release-maint", before realizing that it should probably
raise an error ;-)  (Sounds like our man had a rough day though.)

Also, I think you should mention the Stackless version(s) you are using on
the Debian and Mac boxes. Probably not the same version, right? If you
haven't already, I think you should read Richards post about this.

(On Ubuntu Hardy, using the latest release-maint build, using the same code,
the call to ch.receive() also returns immediately with no error.)

Respect

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 7:57 AM, Andrew Francis <andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com>
wrote:

> Hi Folks:
>
> I am using stackless 3.1b3 060516 (release25-maint,
> Apr 2 2008) on win32. I used the Stackless installer.
>
> I do the following:
>
> import stackless
> ch = stackless.channel()
> ch.receive()
>
> and nothing happens.
>
> I was expecting
>
> RuntimeError: Deadlock: the last runnable tasklet
> cannot be blocked.
>
> I repeated the test on an ASUS running Debian 4.1.1-21
> and a Mac and I get the Deadlock error.
>
> The only thing I notice is that my machine
> occasionally complains about not finding
> pywin32type.dll. I have not been able to find this
> dll.
>
> Hopefully this is a problem with my machine and not
> stackless.
>
> Cheers,
> Andrew

Phoenix Sol