[Stackless] Porting stackless Python to Windows CE/Mobile

Mads Darø Kristensen madsdk at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 08:58:25 CET 2008

Hi Carlos and Richard.

I have followed Richard's suggestion about how to apply the diffs, and
that seems to work just fine - thank you Richard! After patching in
the diff I had to merge 50+ files by hand, but most of that was
trivial to do.

Now I am facing two other problems: 1) I get a strange compilation
error when trying to build - it seems to think that there is an error
in a comment (you've go to love faulty compiler output), and 2) I did
not know that stackless's tasklet switching code was written in
assembly, and I know very little of assembler code (I did take a
course on MIPS assembly many years ago but that has long been
forgotten).

So it seems that I may be stranded in my porting efforts, but I will
press on and mail any questions to this list as I proceed. Thanks for
your help so far!

Best regards
Mads

On Dec 9, 2008, at 2:15 PM, Carlos Eduardo de Paula wrote:

> When I ported Stackless Python to Sony PSP, I followed the same
> approach Richard exposed.
>
> The tricky part is the tasklet switching code where some assembly code
> is needed, but since most WinCE are ARMs, maybe you can use any of the
> available tidbits with minor modifications.
>
> Carlos
>
> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 10:17 AM, Richard Tew
> <richard.m.tew at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 5:30 AM, Mads Darø Kristensen <madsdk at gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>> I am currently in the process of porting Stackless Python 2.5 to
>>> run on
>>> Windows CE/Mobile devices and I would like some advise before I
>>> waste too
>>> much precious time :-)
>>>
>>> What I have done is this:
>>> 1) I have fetched the source code of Python 2.5, PythonCE 2.5, and
>>> Stackless
>>> Python 2.5
>>> 2) I have created a diff of Python vs. PythonCE (diff -uNr
>>> Python-2.5
>>> Python-2.5-wince)
>>> 3) I have applied that diff as a patch to the Stackless Python
>>> checkout
>>> 4) I am currently going through the tings that failed during that
>>> patch to
>>> see if I can get it to work...
>>>
>>> Is this the right way to do a Stackless port? Am I missing
>>> something?
>>
>> Well, I personally would diff the stackless 2.5 against Python 2.5.
>> Then apply those changes to the PythonCE.  But, whatever works best
>> for you.
>>
>> I would expect the Stackless changes to be more minimal than the
>> Python CE changes as most of the Stackless code is in the Stackless
>> sub-directory and there are only minimal changes to the main Python
>> code.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Richard.

> --
> Visit Stackless Examples Project
> http://code.google.com/p/stacklessexamples/
> Stackless Python - www.stackless.com

---
Best regards / Med venlig hilsen,
Mads D. Kristensen

"It would seem that you have no useful skill or talent whatsoever," he
said.  "Have you thought of going into teaching?"
         -- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)