[Stackless] Question abut slprofile.py

Kristján Valur Jónsson kristjan at ccpgames.com
Thu Dec 18 10:11:15 CET 2008

Attached.
Note that what we also used is a custom flag in stackless, "globaltrace" which makes the tracing state of python global (for the thread) instead of being maintained for each tasklet.
Not only does it allow us to take a profiling "snapshot" of a running application, it also prevented crashes in stackless, which was crashing horribly if any exceptions were being raised in the trace callbacks.
Actually, the last issue was fixed by us changing slprofile to not rely on the stackless tasklet switching callbacks, which tend to have weird behaviour, but rather just querying for the current tasklet in the trace functions.

If you want, I can provide you with the changed files to the the "globaltrace" functionality, but it is a little more work.