[Stackless] Sudden error with pyexpat

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 10 10:47:35 CET 2008

Hi,

I've been using ElementTree for a few weeks without problem, with
Stackless Python.

Suddenly I have an error importing expat, in both application and console:

Python 2.5.2a0 Stackless 3.1b3 060516 (release25-maint:60694M, Feb  9
2008, 13:21:41)
[GCC 4.1.3 20070929 (prerelease) (Ubuntu 4.1.2-16ubuntu2)] on linux2
 >>> from xml.parsers import expat
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in <module>
  File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/parsers/expat.py",
line 4, in <module>
    from pyexpat import *
ImportError:
/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/_xmlplus/parsers/pyexpat.so: undefined
symbol: PyUnicodeUCS4_Decode

On the python mailing list, I got this response:

"You changed the build-time configuration of your Python installation, so you
should rebuild PyXML for the new interpreter (or uninstall it, as you don't
need it for ElementTree)."

Does this mean Stackless is confusing the pyexpat.so library? Why would it work last week?

I admit, I am frustrated with ubuntu linux when it comes to python and xml. In windows c++ it was SO easy. Now I am confronted with a continuous stream of errors.... :( rant over!

can anyone help how me with how I resolve this? do I rebuild the pyexpat library? I tried uninstalling it and just get uninstall errors in synaptic.

I hope I am not going to have to rebuild every library I use with stackless python?

Thanks for your advice.

Simon

--
Linux user #458601 - http://counter.li.org.