[Stackless] Event-based scheduling

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 13 16:55:58 CET 2008

Hi Laurent:

> I'm new to stackless, so I apologize if this is
> trivial.
>
> Is it possible to schedule microthreads based on
> event? For example, let's suppose that a thread
writes data through a socket. The write will block
> the ?thread, but is asynchronous for the real
> thread.

The problem actually is *not* trivial because
Stackless blocks on synchronous calls.

I believe someone wrote a WSGI based server that works
with Stackless.

Look at Richard Tew's MUD example to see how to work
with asyncore.

There are quite a few examples using the
StacklessSocket module.

Myself, I use Twisted to make tasklets do network I/O.
If you are working with protocols like HTTP, consider
using Twisted.

Look at Christoper Armstrong's blockOn example:

http://www.stackless.com/pipermail/stackless/2007-August/001753.html

Also look in the Stackless Google repository for more
examples.

http://code.google.com/p/stacklessexamples/wiki/StacklessTwisted