[Stackless] Event-based scheduling

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 14 01:01:59 CET 2008

Hi Laurent:

>I don't understand why the implementation forces me
>to use channels, if I do not need to 'transfer' data.
>You use the channel as a semaphore. I would
>think that it is better to implement semaphore, and
>then implement channels

Channels are a cheap and conceptually powerful
mechanism. It is easy to craft a counting semaphore
based on a channel and a counter. This is what I do in
my WS-BPEL implementation. I believe there is an
example of a semaphore in the uthread.py library.

What I find neat is that Stackless Python's minimalist
model can be used to craft a whole heap of more
sophisticated constructs.