[Stackless] Questions on the Evolution of Stackless

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 26 16:47:38 CET 2008

Hi Folks:

I am busy writing away my paper "Adventures in
Stackless Python/Twisted Integration" before the March
1st deadline.

I have questions.

1) When did channels enter the picture and why? What
inspired the current channel model? Were channels
meant to be a substitute for tasklet.insert(),
remove(), and capture()?

2) Is there a newer paper than the "Continuations and
Stackless Python"?

Is the statement, a tasklet has about 400 bytes of
overhead still valid?

3) I see greenlets, generators, tasklets and now
eventlets - all different types of coroutines. In
Twisted, I see inlineCallbacks (based on generators).

Silly question, besides the programming interface,
what really is the difference between a
tasklet/channel and generator? Tasklets and channels
seem more general purpose and powerful.

Bigger question - Where is all this going? The one
thing I see is that the desire to do efficient network
I/O is propelling the evolution of coroutines in
Python. Would this be an accurate statement?