[Stackless] New to stackless, advice appreciated

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 11 09:02:46 CET 2008

Hello,

I am new to stackless (but not python). Currently my small team has an
online game in development. The server is about 25% complete, and
written in c++.

We were always planning to use python as the scripting language, using
an embedded python interpreter. However, the stackless actor model looks
most interesting and flexible.

Would it be worth us porting our server code over to Stackless Python,
before we go any further? Perhaps these questions will explain my concerns:

How can Stackless Python take advantage of Multi-core architectures if
it only runs in a single thread? Can physics or networking run in
seperate threads, if so how can they communicate safely with the main
tasklet?

Can it compare to the raw speed of c++?

Surely c++, due to its widespread use and maturity(?!), has many more
3rd party libraries available. I imagine I can still extend the
Stackless Python interpreter to call c++?

Is there support for Stackless Python in Python debuggers (especially on
Linux)?

Is it possible to embed Stackless Python in c++? How does this affect
the tasklet mechanism?

Your advice is most appreciated - Thank you.

Simon

--
Linux Counter: User# 424693