[Stackless] New development for Stackless itself

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 21:57:41 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Gabriel Lavoie <glavoie at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking at Stackless Python for a university master degree research to
> develop new language features for concurrent programming. I think, when
> googling that I found somewhere that new development should be done on PyPy
> instead of Stackless. Am I right? Is Stackless still actively developped? I

Stackless is actively maintained, but it is pretty defined in terms of
what it does and has been for several years now.  The Stackless
changes to the base Python runtime are limited, but are not easy to
conceive without a reasonable amount of work.   The advantage in PyPy
as I understand it, is that these changes can be programmatically put
into place in a generated runtime, rather than manually as we have had
to do for Stackless.

> tried to run PyPy on all my computers and the interpreted version is too
> slow for any concrete development and I don't have enough memory to
> translate it into a compiled version... This is why I'm eyeing Stackless
> that compiles and runs really fast and is fast. What should I do?

If you are happy to build on Stackless, then I don't see why you
shouldn't.  But keep in mind Stackless is a minimal set of
changes/features and it is unlikely your work would be integrated into
it unless there were compelling reasons otherwise.  There is no reason
that if you wanted to release the final result, that you couldn't do
so as either a fork of Stackless, or an extension of it, if
integration was not suitable.