[Stackless] Stackless Python 3000

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 16:37:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

CCP kindly let Kristjan Valur Jonsson and I spend our time this week
enhancing Python 3000 with tasklets, channels and scheduling; that is,
porting Stackless Python to it.  CCP will not be using Python 3000 for
EVE any time in the near future, which makes this is a generous
donation of our working time.  As of this morning, we are happy with
the state of it, and can announce that it should be ready for use (as
much as Python 3000 itself is).

If you can take the time to download it and compile it, then run both
the Python unit tests and the Stackless unit tests and reply with any
unexpected failures you might experience, it would be much
appreciated.

You can check out the source code here:
  http://svn.python.org/projects/stackless/branches/py3k/

*nix instructions:
  * Running the Python unit tests:
      ./python Lib/test/regrtest.py
  * Running the Stackless unit tests:
      cd Stackless/unittests
      ../../python runAll.py

Windows instructions:
  * Running the Python unit tests:
      PCbuild\python_d.exe Lib\test\regrtest.py
  * Running the Stackless unit tests:
      cd Stackless\unittests
      ..\..\PCbuild\python_d.exe runAll.py

I am not interested in failures in the Python unit tests if it is this
one (it happens in the non-Stackless version of the source code) in
test_multiprocessing:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "Lib\test\test_multiprocessing.py", line 1795, in <module>
main()
  File "Lib\test\test_multiprocessing.py", line 1792, in main
test_main(unittest.TextTestRunner(verbosity=2).run)
  File "Lib\test\test_multiprocessing.py", line 1771, in test_main
ManagerMixin.manager.start()
  File "C:\SVN\Python\stackless\branches\py3k\lib\multiprocessing\managers.py",
line 499, in start
self._process.start()
  File "C:\SVN\Python\stackless\branches\py3k\lib\multiprocessing\process.py",
line 104, in start
self._popen = Popen(self)
  File "C:\SVN\Python\stackless\branches\py3k\lib\multiprocessing\forking.py",
line 194, in __init__
dump(process_obj, to_child, HIGHEST_PROTOCOL)
  File "C:\SVN\Python\stackless\branches\py3k\lib\pickle.py", line 1350, in dump
Pickler(file, protocol).dump(obj)
  File "C:\SVN\Python\stackless\branches\py3k\lib\multiprocessing\util.py",
line 311, in _reduce_method
if m.__self__ is None:
AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute '__self__'