[Stackless] Features Re: Io Language

Andrew Francis andrewfr_ice at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 11 16:40:48 CEST 2008

Hello Christian and Colleagues:

> Btw., I heard a lot about Erlang and how well it handles
> cross-machine processes. I'd love to hear more of this,
> too, and maybe Stackless can borrow some concepts.
>
> (You know that almost all concepts are borrowed, in the
> end. There is really little really new, like the composability
> which still exists in Stackless PyPy, only.)

Well multiprocessor support always comes up....

As I may have mentioned in private, at PyCon 2008, in discussion with
folks off-line, an Erlang feature that interests folks that spoke with me, is hot-swapping.

Closely related, another thing that I discussed was long-running transactions/compensation. Compensation is the ability to choose an alternative action for a transaction that cannot be atomic. In the WS-BPEL model, language wise, compensation involves taking snapshots of successful states, which are offered to the compensation handler when an error occurs. I haven't implemented compensation yet.

Cheers,
Andrew