[Stackless] Io

Phoenix Sol phoenix at burninglabs.com
Sat Jun 14 20:44:49 CEST 2008

Hey Guy,

On Sat, Jun 14, 2008 at 3:10 AM, Guy Hulbert <gwhulbert at eol.ca> wrote:

> You also said (response below written first):
>
>        "excited about how easy it is to add C extensions to Io"
>
> Is that based on reading something specific from the Io site or is it
> from one of the links?
>
> Could you provide a more specific reference?

No, not really. There doesn't appear to be any 'proper' documentation on
extending and embedding Io yet, but there are several examples of extensions
in the distribution. It looks a lot less complicated than in Python (to me
anyway, again lacking C experience). You may look at the documentation for '
CFunction<http://www.iolanguage.com/scm/git/checkout/Io/docs/IoReference.html#CFunction>
'.

> On Fri, 2008-13-06 at 19:45 -0700, Phoenix Sol wrote:
> > Missing from the 'bindings' section on the first page at
> > http://iolanguage.com is Python
>
> Now I've looked at this again, I'm not quite sure whether 'bindings'
> "means what you think it means"[1].  Unfortunately,
>
> http://iolanguage.com/scm/git/checkout/Io/docs/IoGuide.html#Bindings
>        Documentation on how to write bindings/addons forthcoming..
>
> So I'm not sure what 'bindings' means in Io nor what you expect it to
> mean.  From the examples listed on the Io front page it looks more like
> "libraries" ... except for the "objective-c bridge".
>
> [1] You keep using that word ... [the princess bride]

You are probably right. Please forgive my 'cowboy coder' conventions. ;-)
What I mean is that you can call Python from Io. Here is a quick example:

phoenix at pyre:~$ io
Io 20080120
Io> mt := Python import("mimetypes")
==>  Python_0x8338c58:

Io> mt init
==>  Python_0x8338c58:

Io> mt knownfiles
==> list("/etc/mime.types", "/etc/httpd/mime.types",
"/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types", "/etc/apache/mime.types",
"/etc/apache2/mime.types", "/usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types",
"/usr/local/lib/netscape/mime.types",
"/usr/local/etc/httpd/conf/mime.types", "/usr/local/etc/mime.types")

--
Phoenix Sol
541-646-8612