[Stackless] multi-core processing?

Simon Pickles sipickles at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 16 14:44:15 CEST 2008

Christopher Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 1:27 PM, Simon Pickles <sipickles at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> Really? eek, I had misunderstood the GIL, I think. So Carlos's example is
>> multicore but not parallel?
>>
>> Thats bad for me. My server had several interpreters running 'concurrently'
>> using twisted.PerspectiveBroker to communicate. I guess this model works for
>> clusters but not for SMPs.....
>>

> If you're using multiple processes, then you get parallel execution on
> either SMP or clusters. The GIL is per-process.
>
> I mention this because it seems to be pointless to use PB to
> communicate between components within a single process, so I assume
> you must be using multiple processes. Or are you spawning multiple
> Python interpreters through the C/Python API?

Phew! That was a brown-trousers moment.

I am spawning multiple interpreters, some on SMPs, some across a
cluster. This arrangement is flexible so I  used PB to provide that
versatility.

Good to know 12 months work hasn't been barking up the wrong tree.
Perhaps a simple core test would have reassured me!