[Stackless] Stackless/Twisted Talk Re: Cannot Come!

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Tue Mar 4 19:18:15 CET 2008

Andrew Francis wrote:
> Hello Christian and Colleagues:
>
> --- Christian Tismer <tismer at stackless.com> wrote:
>
>> Stick with Andrew's talk. It is good.
>
> So, it is resolved that I will do the Stackless 101
> talk?

This is up to you two. Maybe doing it together,
with you implanting the basics needed for twisted?
Just an idea...

> If there is nothing to be added to the Andrew Dalke
> talk, perhaps Andrew Dalke would be better suited to
> give it?
>
> What did you take out when you gave the talk at Pycon
> UK?

I dropped most of the protocols stuff, just did all the
intros, especially the interactive walk through
channel interactions was highly appreciated
and well understood (yes, first time they understood).
 From the rest, I took random pieces,
and I showed the robots from the Grant Olson tutorial.
And showed some pickling at work.

> In the "Turn it into a Library" slide, Andrew Dalke
> does mentioned "Stackless and Twisted talk for next
> year" - This would change.

I skipped that part.

>> I don't believe in "Stackless needs Twisted". It can
>> use it, but there might be other (simpler?)
>> solutions. But that's not my talk :-)
>
> Although this is a detailed outline I am smoothing out
> a few edges....
>
> Yes it is my talk so I appreciate people finding
> erroneous statements early. Also I want to create a
> talk that is accurate, inclusive and helpful.

Not trying to be negative, I just found the implication
not obvious. Twisted is one way which is an existing
option, of course, and it is fine to present that.
But Stackless needs "something like that".

> Yes this is true - Stackless does not need Twisted.
> That said, I will argue that a high level concurrency
> model is helped by a high level networking framework.
> In this regard, I am looking at things from the
> viewpoint of a newbie that wishes to do cool things
> relatively quickly with few surprises.

Yes, this is good, I understand.

>> The sentence under 6. needs some explaining. What
>> exactly is a job for PyPy?
>
> Experimenting with stuff like new scheduling regimes,
> coroutines, etc ....

Ok. This was not clear be the enumeration. Thanks.

ciao - chris