[Stackless] Server Components

Simon Pickles sipickles at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:18:31 CET 2008

Midway thru my server dev, I am seeing the light... well, a light anyway.

Its a stackless python server and not too bad, running on Ubuntu Linux.
Stackless Python is great, but single threaded (I DO do my DB lookups
and network comms in other threads).

I figure its GOT to be more concurrent, if I'm looking to use future
architecture.

So I planned to rewrite the server into modules, each a separate app. I
guess this is a virtualisation process. Labour could be subdivided
spatially, or by task (db access/playermanager/AI), or both

The modules plug in to each other, communicating thru the network (twisted).

This means the prototype server would run all the module apps on a
single machine, then spreading to other machines to allow scalability.
Being async networked (hinged on twisted.deferred), these modules run
concurrently, using all the cores available.

SO - Am I reinventing the wheel? Does Twisted do this, or other
Frameworks? In my limited experience, I need to create a server hub then
have all the component modules connect to that as clients.

Is there a better way?

Thanks for your thoughts

--
Linux Counter: User# 424693