[Stackless] Proposed modification WRT threading and scheduling

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Sat May 3 16:00:29 CEST 2008

On Sat, May 3, 2008 at 8:55 AM, Kristján Valur Jónsson
<kristjan at ccpgames.com> wrote:
> It doesn't exit, you just get the deadlock exception, right?
>  This is what has always happened, and what used to happen if you
>  compiled stackless without Thread support.  How is this bad?

It exits with no exception.  This is bad because you expect a channel
to block and if a receive call returns rather than just raising an
error, you expect that to mean that it did something.  I couldn't work
out why my code was not working, until I worked out this was going on.

Should it raise a deadlock exception, or does that defeat the whole
point of the change we made?  Should it block instead?