[Stackless] Stackless' merging with CPython

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 17:05:23 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:04 AM, anonymous <malicious.wizard at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just one question, but unrelated to Stackless development process —
> why Stackless is not included in default distribution of Python, if it
> provides the same interface as CPython does and has full compatibility with
> CPython programms and libraries?

Stackless is not entirely fully compatible.  I believe we change the C
api and this means that certain extensions need to be recompiled to
work with us.  I don't have an entirely clear recollection on this
subject.

The python-dev team have to be happy with how Stackless is
implemented.  The process of getting Stackless in might involve
rewriting it to their satisfaction.

There has to be someone willing to do the above work.  And then the
python-dev team has to approve it going in, which might not happen
even after the possible rewrite.

After it is integrated it needs a maintainer who is willing to work on
the pytho-dev team to address issues.

Long story short.  Who is going to do any of this?  Not I.