[Stackless] Multi-CPU Actor Based Python

Arnar Birgisson arnarbi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 13:07:03 CET 2008

Hi all,

Haven't read all of this thread carefully, but..

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 17:32, Timothy Baldridge <tbaldridge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Because all information for an object is contained in that object
> (including message queues, and data). We could remove all locks from
> the list objects, as the internal object tasklet will be the only
> object modifying the code. These queues are the only parts that would
> need to be locked, and those can be created via CAS operations, we
> could take out 90% of the locks in Python.

Where does this 90% number come from? I was under the impression that
if the GIL were removed -- the vast majority of lock activity by finer
grained locking would be around the object reference counters. How
does multi-threaded actor-based concurrency help with that?

cheers,
Arnar