[Stackless] Multi-CPU Actor Based Python

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:09:50 CET 2008

> Where does this 90% number come from? I was under the impression that
> if the GIL were removed -- the vast majority of lock activity by finer
> grained locking would be around the object reference counters. How
> does multi-threaded actor-based concurrency help with that?

The 90% come right out of thin air.

However, on X86 computers, LOCK INC and LOCK DEC are both atomic
operations. So these systems could both become lock free and wait
free. Every other major processor supports atomic inc/dec operations
as well. On the systems that don't, a spinlock could be used.

Timothy