[Stackless] Stackless based replacement

Arnar Birgisson arnarbi at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 19:05:53 CEST 2008

Hi Larry,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 18:48, Larry Dickson <ldickson at cuttedge.com> wrote:
> These address the same problem, but shift to module variants what is
> actually a virtual machine issue. What happens if different tasklets use
> different modules in the same run?

Depends on the modules. If each module has its own dispatching tasklet
it shouldn't be a problem - but these are not all compatible
(different platforms, threading etc.)

> My point is that there doesn't need to be a wheel at all. No change in
> source code.

Hmm, don't see what you mean. What source code doesn't need to change?

> Can two tasklets use the libevent code and have their sleep periods overlap?

Yes

http://zope.stackless.com/svn/sdocument_view

> What is preferred, do you think: a call and explicit check on the lines of
> select, or a syntax thing that would act like (or maybe even be) a case
> statement?

Surely not a syntax thing, Stackless currently does not add any new
syntax to Python. I imagine something like

val = stackless.receive_first([chan1, chan2, ....])

Look in the archives for discussion of the syntax.

cheers,
Arnar