[Stackless] Stackless based replacement

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Fri Oct 17 16:33:20 CEST 2008

Hi Andrew,

We seem to have different ideas of what is simple. You propose exceptions,
waits, signals, barriers, re-initialization, and presumably global signal
values. This in my opinion is a whole Italian restaurant of spaghetti, and
it sounds intrinsically global, which is poison to maintainable
multiprocessing in my experience. Of course I could be wrong, having little
experience with your way of doing things, except for standard C/Linux
signals. (Have you ever tried setting anything up with occam manager and
workers?)

The beauty of toplevel (stackless in the generic sense) processes
communicating through channels is that they do not have to share resources
OR KNOWLEDGE with other black boxes of the same construction but totally
different function and/or history. This is what drivers try to be but never
succeed. A manager based on ALT (or stackless_receive_first) can manage
several of these black boxes - possibly of completely different types, like
ethernet and disk - and apply optimal strategies to the data flow without
digging deep into the driver code. But it has to be toplevel, not nested
down deep like standard drivers.

Larry