[Stackless] Stackless IO ?

Hilmar Veigar Pétursson hilmar at ccpgames.com
Sun Oct 19 14:23:35 CEST 2008

Hello Christian,

As Nicolas Stein has mentioned then StacklessIO is a reimplementation of our Network Transport layer. It's actually our 3rd major rewrite in the past 8 years. This time around Kristján Valur found clever ways to minimize the performance loss we have usually saw as we maneuver around the threading issues that the Python engine has (if only they would make parts of the Python engine free threaded).

I originally wanted to name to new module SlipStream but Kristán Valur went with StacklessIO as an homage to wonderful Stackless Python. Even through StacklessIO isn't "stackless" per se in the sense of a the word when relating to scripting engines then we felt the name would help promote Stackless Python in some way.

It was unfortunate that we did not coordinate this with you Christian but frankly we were a bit surprised ourselves how much of a difference this new network transport implementation had on the overall performance of our EVE cluster in various use cases. This then has led to the fact that our marketing department is using StacklessIO as an incentive for lapsed users to rejoin EVE.

I was planning to write a dev blog next week explaining the history of our architecture and how Stackless Python and various other technologies have come together to create what we have today. I even dug up some emails since May 2000 when we connected for the first time.

If you want us to stop using this name "StacklessIO" Christian then of course we will but I think we have an opportunity here to bring more people into the Stackless Python light :)

Regards,
Hilmar Veigar Pétursson, CEO
CCP
http://www.ccpgames.com