[Stackless] Stackless license and copyright notice?

Alberto Ganesh Barbati AlbertoBarbati at libero.it
Wed Oct 22 01:09:45 CEST 2008

Christian Tismer ha scritto:
> Alberto Ganesh Barbati wrote:
>> Hi Everybody,
>>
>> this might be obvious but I couldn't find an authoritative answer on
>> stackless.com nor in the archive of this mailing list. The question is
>> simple: under which license is Stackless distributed? In both the source
>> distribution and by typing license() all I get is the Python license
>> from the PSF. Does that apply to all Stackless modifications to Python
>> also? In case it does apply, is the PSF notice of copyright: "Copyright
>> (c) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Python Software
>> Foundation; All Rights Reserved" sufficient or should something more be
>> added?
>
> If the stackless developers had considered a different license,
> without changing the source or the license() output, that would
> be pretty dumb.

Definitely.

Ok, let me rephrase. The Python license requires the copyright notice:

"Copyright (c) 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 Python
Software Foundation; All Rights Reserved"

to appear in some way with every distribution of Python, either source
or executable. No problem with that.

But since I'm using Stackless, is there some other copyright notice that
I should put in addition to that one?

On other words: could it be that the Stackless developers don't want to
be credited for their work? *That* would sound strange to me.

> If you see an urgent need for further protection, please tell me.
> I am more than happy with the Python license since 10+ years.

I have no problems at all with the Python license. I just want to give
proper credit to the developers of the software I distribute under that
license (both because they deserve it and because the license requires
me to do it).

> The Stackless addition is a concept, an idea. Europeans do not
> consider patenting things like these.
> The idea is obscene!

Totally agree (I'm Italian).

Ganesh