[Stackless] Can't embed Stackless in C++ using MinGW

Richard Tew richard.m.tew at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 00:35:05 CEST 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Ben Sizer <kylotan at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2008/9/15 Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>:
>> Get the source code (preferably from the release25-maint branch) in
>> SVN, and compile that, run the Stackless unit tests to ensure that the
>> Stackless extension got compiled in, then compile against it.
>
> Hmm, I can see this being a problem, as I don't have a traditional
> makefile-based environment here, and trying to import the Visual C++
> solutions is just resulting in various build errors. Also, how would
> this work with my existing Python installation? I'm not in a position
> where it would be terribly convenient to reinstall all my packages
> into site-packages, for example. What would I need to overwrite?

I was thinking you'd just compile the Stackless code within its own
directory and leave it there, compiling against it as need be.

Copying your site-packages from your standard Python install into the
in-situ Stackless code site-packages directory would probably work -
given all binary modules are compatible with Stackless.  Some binary
modules need to be compiled against Stackless directly to work with
it.

> Perhaps it would be easier the other way around - installing the
> pre-built Stackless, and copy my site-packages over? Or is there a
> reason why that might not work?

You would have to uninstall your existing Python.  It might trash the
'site-packages' directory.  It might adversely affect your
site-package installs.  I think this is not a solution I would advise.

A better bet might be to work out what the revision of the build you
already have installed is, then get that revision of the appropriate
branch from SVN.  Take the Include directory and copy it over what is
in your "E:/code/Python25/include/" directory.  Then you should have a
more correct Stackless compilation environment.

Then see how you go from there..

You would of course be best off having an install of MingW with a
proper compilation environment and just do it right.  But not doing so
is your prerogative.