[Stackless] Can't embed Stackless in C++ using MinGW

Ben Sizer kylotan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 01:48:14 CEST 2008

2008/9/15 Richard Tew <richard.m.tew at gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 6:22 PM, Ben Sizer <kylotan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Copying your site-packages from your standard Python install into the
> in-situ Stackless code site-packages directory would probably work -
> given all binary modules are compatible with Stackless.  Some binary
> modules need to be compiled against Stackless directly to work with
> it.

Hmm, I think the comment on the front page that Stackless could just
be installed over the existing Python installation made it seem a bit
more compatible than it really is. It makes sense that it might not be
compatible with various binary packages - of which I have many, and no
practical way of recompiling them all - but I hadn't really thought
about it until now.

> You would of course be best off having an install of MingW with a
> proper compilation environment and just do it right.  But not doing so
> is your prerogative.

Unfortunately that is pretty unlikely to happen since my MingW is part
of an IDE installation (ie. Code::Blocks) and I'm unlikely to go to
the effort of installing the extra tools and setting up all the paths
and so on just to build Stackless. So instead I'm trying it with the
free version of Visual C++ 2008 and have managed to build the exes and
dlls with only a few modules failing, so I think I will just continue
down that route instead.

Thanks for your help and explanation so far.

Ben Sizer